Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Letters to China

The beginning of last summer I happened upon Staples which at the time was having a marvelous sale. Unable to resist my compulsory need to have I bought nearly 400 white envelopes. Since I was stuck at my university studying sociology and calculus all summer I found that art became an overwhelming necessity. Instead of homework after class I collaged envelopes using magazine clippings, candy wrappers, photographs...really anything I could get my hands on.

After I recently showed a friend the 20 envelopes I made this summer he asked if I could create an additional 90 for his students at 榆中二中 。or Yu Zhong Er Zhong a boarding school in GanSu China. With only two weeks remaining so far I have only created 5 seen above...yes just 5 . It's difficult to find the wherewithal to create 90 collages in such little time- therefore it is on bended knee that I’m asking everyone who knows of websites, magazines, art, etc that I might find inspiration to please contact me at Fingerinthesocketfashion@gmail.com

Over the next year I will be creating and selling stationary kits inspired by the envelopes for the children in GanSu. The money will be donated to a fund for the Yu Zhong Er Zhong students who cannot afford food, clothing and other necessities. Be sure to check our shop for the stationary and other merchandise http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6327616

Keep it fashionable and artsy.
Yours truly,
Simmy


Currently listening to, "Beautiful Child" by the magnificent Rufus Wainwright.




1 comment:

xr2saish said...

wow thats really coool!